Holiday Hazards for Pets


For many people, winter is a time of holidays, parties and family get-togethers.  It’s only fair to include your pet.  There are some unique challenges that come with the cold weather, and a holiday party can create hazards for your pet.


When it comes to food, many holiday items pose potential dangers to pets. Chocolate, often a feature of celebrations, can be deadly to your pet. Additionally, other foods may contain dangerous ingredients. As a general rule, refrain from sharing human food with your pet, and ensure that guests are aware not to feed them. Some pets, particularly dogs, are skilled beggars and can coax tidbits from almost anyone. If you’re unsure about your pet’s ability to control their urge to vacuum up food, it may be safer to exclude them from parties and gatherings. See more.


Many holiday plants are toxic to pets, with some being more harmful than others. For instance, poinsettia is slightly toxic, while holly and mistletoe (especially European mistletoe) can be more dangerous. The degree of toxicity depends on the size of your pet and the amount ingested. However, it’s always safest to consult your veterinarian if your pet consumes any plants, as some can even be fatal. For example, lilies can cause kidney failure and death in cats. If your pet enjoys browsing on houseplants, it’s a good idea to research which plants are safe and which ones to avoid.
Toxic plants for animals


be mindful of the ornaments and decorations you use, and supervise your pet around potential hazards. Glass ornaments can break, power cords can cause shocks and burns if chewed, and ribbons, string, and strands of tinsel can cause a potentially dangerous obstruction if ingested. Additionally, candles can be knocked over, posing a fire risk. Remember, if something isn’t kid-safe, it’s also not pet-safe.


A common winter poison is antifreeze; it has a very sweet taste, and many animals will happily drink it. To prevent accidents, keep containers closed up tight, and clean up spills promptly. If you think your pet may have consumed antifreeze, you should seek veterinary attention immediately. Additionally, cold weather poses another problem. Some dogs love the cold and snow, but it can be rough on older pets and those without heavy undercoats. Make sure your snow-loving dog has a warm shelter if they like to spend a lot of time outside, but bring all pets inside during severe cold or bad weather, regardless of their preferences. Frail pets should spend minimal time outdoors, and even some dogs could benefit from being litter trained.
If you are looking for a vet in Newmarket, call us at 905-898-1010.